The Vow & My Vows

A couple of my friends and I saw The Vow last night.  I’ve wanted to see it for a while since I’m a sucker for romance movies.   It was really cute.  It had all the things a romance movie should have: love, heart break, tender sweet moments, corny lines, and a perfect meet cute.  So yes, it was your typical romance movie, and it is probably nothing to write home about, but it’s a good movie to see with your girlfriends and have a good cry.  I always say we all need a little more love in this world…even if it’s Hollywood's fake version of love. 

On a side note, what was up with Channing Tatum wearing that awful fedora?  It looks so awkward on him.  I won’t even get started on the obvious wig they had Rachel McAdams wear.
(source)
The movie did confirm my desire to write my own vows for our wedding.  I’m a bit terrified to stand up in front of 80+ people saying something so absolutely private and of my heart.  But I just can’t see myself saying the standard vows because I feel that our love isn’t standard.  There are different options though.  You and your fiancé can customize your own vows together and then say the same ones to each other.  Or you can each write your own personal ones, like in the movie.  I kind of like the idea of writing our own vows and then surprising each other with them during the ceremony.    But then again, what if my vows are really long and his are short?  Mine has too much humor in it and his has too much seriousness? Definitely a lot to consider and a lot to discuss with one another!
What do you think?  Do you like personalized vows or do you think the couple should agree beforehand what they’re going to say to each other? I’d love to hear other people's thoughts on this subject.
P.S. I think "Brand New Colony" by the Postal Service would make excellent vows. Would it be corny if Matt brought up his guitar and sang this song to me?  Yes?  Darn.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. I think personalized vows are such a great way to express your feelings to each other. I would be afraid that I would be all serious and my future spouse would be funny (or vice versa), but no matter what those vows would represent not only us as a couple but also us as individuals. Do it.

    ReplyDelete