DIY: Save the Date

I thought it would be fun to do a post about our Save the Dates.  As many of you know, we don't have a large wedding budget.  Save the Dates really aren't even necessary since most of our guests are in town.  But I love them!  I just think they are so adorable.

I threw around a bunch of different ideas for the Save the Dates.  One thing I was certain about: I knew I wanted it to be a postcard.  Simply because you can order 100 postcards from Staples for less than $50, and of course, postcards are cheaper to mail. 

Since we are incorporating a bunch of chalkboard elements into our wedding, I googled "chalkboard save the dates".  That is when I found this beautiful image:
(Daniel Photography)
Not only is it adorable, it would be super easy!  I bought a wood board from Michael's, chalkboard spray paint from Jo-Ann's, and chalk from Target.  I just sprayed the board following the directions on the spray can bottle.  My matron of honor, Brittany, wrote on the sign for me since her handwriting is much better than mine.  And I added the cute little heart in the zero.
Next, we all went on a hike on some trails in San Diego in the late afternoon to get the best light.  Climbing through brush, onto rocks, and hiking up hills is quite...interesting when you're wearing heels.
We tried a few adventurous shots (see me running across the street below to avoid being hit by a car) and some cute, natural ones.  We ended up with hundreds of photos, but most of them Matt and I are making goofy faces.  We're not very photogenic people to begin with, and we make each other laugh too easily.  But it made for quite an entertaining afternoon.
We ended up with about 8 really good shots that we had to narrow down.  I emailed out our top picks to our bridal party and our parents, and the decision was pretty unanimous on which picture we had to use.  Then I designed the back of the post card on Microsoft Word using free fonts from dafont.com, saved it as a PDF, and submitted it to the Staples website.  And Voila!  You have an adorable Save the Dates ready to be mailed out.  I told you it was easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment