Cake Balls

It has been a while since I posted a recipe, so I figured I would post about a batch of cake balls I whipped up the other night. 


Ironically, these cake balls are made with cake mix and store bought frosting..even though in the Sluttier Brownies post I wrote that I try to never use mixes!  I figure it just makes it easier and no one can really tell since you mash the cake and the frosting together anyways.  Also, I used the Pillsbury sugar-free cake mix and frosting so my diabetic fiance can eat them.  Okay enough with the excuses...truth is these are just too simple and delicious.  You HAVE to make them!



Ingredients
1 box of cake mix of your choosing- I used Pillsbury sugar-free yellow cake mix
1 can of frosting of your choosing- I used Pillsbury sugar-free chocolate frosting
Chocolate melts- I used some brand I found at Target.

Directions
  1. Bake the cake mix according to the directions on the box in a 13x9 pan.
  2. Let cake cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack for another 15 minutes.  Don't let the cake cool completely.  It's important for it to still be warm because it softens the frosting making it easier to mix them together.
  3. Using a spatula, mash up the cake in a large bowl.
  4. Stir in frosting until well combined.
  5. Form into balls and place on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet. 
  6. Freeze balls for at least 30 minutes.  I even left some in the freezer over night, and they were fine.
  7. Melt the chocolate melts according to directions on package.
  8. Using a fork or tooth picks, dip the cake balls into the chocolate and put back on the wax paper.
  9. Let the chocolate harden and then enjoy!
For storage purposes, I just keep them in a ziplock bag in the fridge.  You can keep them at room temperature as well. 

I calculated out the sugar and the each ball has less than 1 gram of sugar! Not too shabby!

We used the leftover chocolate melts to make delicious chocolate covered strawberries!  Yum!


For another recipe with reduced sugar, see my Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment