Academy Awards

I love the Academy Awards.  No matter how good or how bad they can be.  I can ignore the corny jokes and the awkward pauses that you can only find on live television.  The fashion and the speeches trump everything else for me.  And last night, both did not fail.


I don't normally agree with what Fashion gurus proclaim as "best dressed".  I can appreciate the fashion, the risk that was taken, the statement the dress is trying to make.  However, my eye normally goes to the woman who wear gowns that emphasize their natural beauty.  So yes, the dress can be a statement piece in itself...but a dress that emphasizes the actress's skin, eyes, hair...that's "best dressed" in my book.


Therefore, I give you my picks for "best dressed" from last night's Academy Awards:


First, we have Natalie Portman.  I'm a sucker for polka dots.  I thought this dress was the perfect choice for someone who had a huge year last year.  She won her award, so now she can relax, have fun, and party it up a bit.  And correct me if I'm wrong...but don't red and polka dots just scream fun?
Second, Penelope Cruz.  This dress left me speechless.  The color is gorgeous.  Simply elegant.  To be honest, I wasn't crazy about her hair style, but I'm willing to forgive her because of this amazing dress.
All the girls from Bridesmaids looked stellar last night.  But Rose Byrne and Ellie Kemper hit it out of the park.  I'm obsessed with sequins in general, but these sequin dresses are just at a whole different level.  Rose Byrne's hair was dynamite.  Who would have thought a deep side part would look so good with blunt bangs?  The back of her dress is to die for.
Ellie Kemper's dress completely emphasized her beauty.  I think she should wear that auburn color all the time.  I'm also apparently partial to blunt bangs!
And lastly, Bérénice Bejo.  She literally took all the Spring trends and wrapped it into a pretty little package on the red carpet.  Soft mint lace dress and a low braided chignon...I'm sold.


What did everyone else think of the fashion they saw last night? 

No comments:

Post a Comment